Saturday, July 16, 2011

Tigers 2nd Half Collapse on the Horizon?

If you have ever talked to me, you know that I am a terrible baseball fan.  I live and die with every game, which is something you can't do in this sport.  Since they play so many games, a short stretch of games won't make or break a season.  But this year has taken it to a new level of frustration for me.

In years past under GM Dumbrowski and Manager Leland, the I cut the team a lot of slack for their second half collapses.  Injuries to Zumaya, Ordonez, Sheffield, etc.  "It's just one of those weird baseball things" I said. I remember how bad things were before they got here too.  But I am not drinking the Kool Aid this season.

Why?  Look at the facts: They have a payroll over 100 million. No that doesn't guarantee success, it just raises expectations.  The rest of the division is not what you would call scary.  A banged up Twins team.  A young Indians squad.  A White Sox team that is playing below expectations and a God awful Royals outfit.  They deserve to be criticized for not having a better record.  So even though they are close to first place, they still are playing below expectations.  Stick them in another division and they are nowhere near 1st place.

So why am I afraid for the 2nd half of the season?  Let me give you my list:
-They are banking on Alex Avila to continue is 1st half success while manning the toughest position in baseball.
-They are hoping Jhonny Peralta still plays above his head.
-They are relying on injured veterans Guillen and Ordonez to provide some hitting.
-The pitching staff, minus Verlander, is average at best right now. 

My one hope is that I have a hard time believing that this is the team that will finish the season as Detroit Tigers.  I can't see Don Kelly being the answer at 3rd base.  I can't see them risking the rest of the season with older, broken down players.  DD and Leland are in the final years of their contracts.  I remember at the trade deadline last season how dissapointed I was when nothing went down.  This year, I am hoping they go all in on July, 31.  Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment